Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Winter Break Crafts

So, I've lived in the same apartment for a year and a half, and I haven't really decorated because I've been too busy baking all the time. Go figure.


BUT the combination of getting a pinterest account and having a long winter break has gotten my creative juices flowing.


Some of the projects below I came up with myself, and some were stolen. I'll put links for the stolen ones.


Colored Pencil Vase and Coffee Filter Flowers



I came up with this one on my own! I did see some coffee filter flowers online and I couldn't really find any instructions, but I found that it's pretty much a make-it-up-as-you-go-along kind of flower.


This project really took me MAYBE ten minutes. It was crazy easy. I bought a cheap straight vase and hot glued colored pencils around it in rainbow order. I really love rainbows. More on that later.


Anyway, then I used some plain ribbon to make a bow. I used four coffee filters for each flower, and used a combination of staples and tape to attach each to a left over green colored pencil. I put a ball of aluminum foil in the bottom of the vase so the flowers would sit where I wanted, and BAM! This is a craft project I think I'll remember for future birthday/housewarming/etc. gifts.


Crayon Art


Ok, this project is all over pinterest. I saw a lot of different cool ideas and designs, but I decided this would be a really cool project if I used pictures of my roommate and myself. Art imitates life, I guess?


So I printed pictures on cardstock and cut out our silhouettes. Then I used a black marker to color the pictures. A little hot glue attached the silhouettes to the canvas, and then I covered them with modge podge to make sure they stayed down and looked extra shiny.


I peeled the papers off of the crayons and hot glued them to the canvas. After cooling, I used a hair dryer to melt the wax. It was surprisingly easy, and definitely fun! This is a project that you could get really creative with.

Book Monsters


This project was a blast! Really, it was entirely stolen. Here is a link to where I found it:



I had so much fun that I accidentally made a million. Here are my book monsters eating an anatomy book.




I can imagine that these would make a great project for kids, as it only really involves scissors and glue sticks.


Anyway, I better get back to crafting before classes start back.


Susie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment